Conventional agriculture often poses a major threat to the finite natural resources and the environment by depleting them. As most of the farms in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan produce the bulk of their crops through traditional agriculture, they use vast quantities of irrigation water, pesticides and chemical fertilizers that damage soil, water, air and climate. This created the need to find modern innovative agricultural methods and the direction of agriculture towards sustainability to reduce the waste of natural resources, as one of the most important of these methods is sustainable agriculture.
The Jordan Valley climate is characterized by being several degrees warmer than the surrounding lands, and it is one of the most fertile agricultural lands. As it is said, it is the basket of Jordan’s vegetables. The Jordan Valley is considered one of the essential food baskets in Jordan because of its climatic conditions suitable for cultivating various vegetable crops. It is regarded as one of the most promising agricultural areas.
The sustainable agriculture project solves the problem of water consumption by saving up to 70% less compared to conventional agriculture. In our project, it is expected that 30% of the water will be saved in the hydroponic system compared to conventional agriculture, with an increase in production and product quality. This project will be a guide for all investors in the agricultural sector to create new job opportunities for the local community.
• Pioneering: using the latest technologies in the field of greenhouse and sustainable agriculture, as an innovative field for the Jordanian agricultural sector.
• Profit: achieving economic returns by raising the quantity and quality of agricultural production and entering privileged markets.
• Environment: saving water consumption compared to traditional agriculture through good water resources management and methods of using modern irrigation systems.
• Job creation: employing members of the local community, especially women and youth.
• Promoting social cohesion: We will reduce child labor in the project area by creating job and training opportunities for the head of the family in exchange for children’s enrollment in schools, thus enhancing social cohesion.
• Tourism: Promote the concept of agro-ecotourism by organizing agricultural tourism events and activities to participate in the harvest season and promote the concept of belonging to the land, environment and agriculture.
• Training and rehabilitation: training and qualifying the local community to apply modern agricultural technology practices with their own projects.
• Food security: Food security is a central issue of great importance at all global and national levels, especially after the emergence of the Corona pandemic, and the importance of the agricultural sector appears as a basis for economic and social development, and it has a good return on investment when switching from traditional crops to crops with high added value.